How do you make a Brown Butter Tart with a delicate crust and rich custard center that won’t disappoint? With Real California butter, ripe blueberries and a lot of love.
BROWN BUTTER TART WITH BLUEBERRIES
Makes five 4-inch tarts or 1 9-inch tart
For the Crust
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
3 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp sugar
1⁄8 tsp kosher salt
1 1/4 cup flour
For the Filling
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1⁄4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
2 cups milk
3 Tbsp butter, cubed and chilled
1/2 vanilla pod, scraped
2 cups blueberries
1. Make the crust: Heat oven to 400°. Stir butter, water, oil, sugar, and salt in a small
saucepan over medium low heat until butter is bubbling and lightly brown at edges,
about 10-15 minutes.
2. Remove from oven and stir in flour until dough comes together. Press dough into
bottom and up sides of five 4″ tart pans (or one large 9″ tart). Using a fork, prick dough
3. Bake until cooked through, 8-10 minutes; let cool.
4. Make the filling: Whisk sugar, cornstarch, vanilla bean scrapings, pod, salt, and yolks in
a 4-qt. saucepan until smooth.
5. Stir in milk and place over medium heat; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about
6. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in butter until smooth; and transfer to a bowl.
Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly on the surface of the pastry cream; chill
until set, at least 2 hours.
7. To serve, spread pastry cream evenly over tart shells and garnish with blueberries.
8. Chill tarts until ready to serve.